This is a simple authentic chutney that can be used as a dip for chapathi/roti/rotti, and can also be served with rice. It is easy to make and very delicious at the same time.
- Urad dal : 2 tblspn
- Dry red chillies : 4-5
- Cumin seeds(jeelakarra) : 1/2 tspn
- Jaggery : a big pinch
- Salt : as per taste
- Tamarind : marble size
- Onion : 1
- Oil : 1 tspn
- Mustard : 1 tspn
- Cumin : 1 tspn
- Asefoetida : a pinch
- Curry leaves : 6-7
- Oil : 1/ 2 tspn
- Soak tamarind in little water , and extract a thick tamarind juice from it .
- Heat 1 tspn oil in a pan ,add urad dal , red chillies , cumin seeds ,and fry till the color changes to golden brown.
- Let it cool for 5 mins and grind it to a fine powder using a mixer or blender.
- Add grinded powder , salt , jaggery , chopped onions to the tamarind juice .
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard ,cumin , asefoetida ,curry leaves. Turn off the stove when it starts to crackle, and mix this seasoning to the chutney.