Baingan Bharta is one of the most famous and delicious dish made out of Brinjal. This is a Punjabi cuisine , of course now made around the world with numerous variations. My introduction to this dish is in a hotel in Australia. I never tasted this before and one of my friends ordered the dish as a side dish for biryani and roti. It tasted great , but then it was very very oily there. So that prompted me to try the dish at home and I loved it. This can be made out of brinjal of any kind and size. The smoky flavor of the brinjal with the tomatoes gives the dish a yummy taste and great color. This is my favorite side dish with Dum Biryani..
- Brinjal : 1 large
- Onions : 2 (finely chopped)
- Tomatoes : 3 (finely chopped)
- Green peas : 1/2 cup(boiled)
- Ginger- garlic paste : 1 tblspn
- Green chillies : 3 (finely chopped )
- Asefoetida : a pinch
- Coriander powder : 1/2 tblspn
- Garam masala powder : 1/2 tspn
- Cumin powder : 1/2 tspn
- salt : as required
- Chilli powder : 1/2 tblspn
- Curd : 1/4 cup
- Sugar : 1 tspn
- Oil : 3 tblspn
- Cumin seeds : 1 tblspn
- Coriander Leaves : 2 tblspn
- Turmeric : a pinch
- Lemon juice : 1/2 tspn
- Apply oil all over brinjal , and fry it on the direct flame or put it in the griller for 30 mins on a high flame.
- Once done , peel the skin , remove the stem and remove any excess seeds. Chop the brinjal finely.
- Heat oil in a pan , add cumin seeds , asefoetida. Let the cumin seeds crackle.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, fry for a minute and add the chopped onions and green chillies. Let them fry for 2 mins and then add turmeric , coriander powder , cumin powder , mix well and fry for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes , chilli powder , salt and cook closing the lid until the tomatoes become soft.
- Add little water if required. Once the tomatoes are cooked add the chopped brinjal , peas ,sugar , little water and let it cook for 5 mins until the gravy become thick.
- Finally add lemon juice , mix well and then add the curd and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with biryani or any bread.